Suggestions for cooking fish
- Most important, do not overcook. Fish will continue cooking on its way to the table.
- Use bottled cooking sauces – teriyaki, dill, pesto.
- Add fish or shellfish to your favorite pasta sauce – marinara, Alfredo, pesto, clam sauce
- Instead of chicken, use fish or shellfish with packaged stir-fry or fajita mixes.
- Use bottled salsa, either fruit or vegetable based, as an accompaniment.
- Pair stronger fish such as trout with sautéed tomatoes. You can also add mushrooms and/or peppers and/or onions.
- Splash fish with lemon juice, top with a thin layer of mayonnaise, and sprinkle with your favorite herbs.
- Marinate fish in salad dressing. Italian and Dijon vinaigrette are especially good.
- Use leftover fish in salads.
- If you are concerned about fish odors, use cooking bags.
- Serve fish on a bed of arugula or other greens.
- Use a variety of herbs – dill, marjoram, tarragon, chives, capers – to add flavor.
- U.S. Farm-Raised Catfish a lá Meunière
Anything cooked a lá Meunière is lightly dredged in flour and pan-fried. This recipe adds capers and Worcestershire sauce to give your catfish an added punch
- U.S. Farm-Raised Classic Southern Fried Catfish
Traditional down-home deep fried catfish with a cornmeal breading is a perennial favorite
- U.S. Farm-Raised Almond Crusted Tilapia
The crunch of the almond crust on this baked fish dish provides texture and interest
- U.S. Farm-Raised Tilapia & Vegetables in Foil
Fish and vegetables are baked in an aluminum foil packet, which makes clean-up a breeze. You either can use frozen vegetables or thinly sliced fresh vegetables like tomatoes, onions, or zucchini. Be creative
- U.S. Farm-Raised Trout Amandine
Trout works well in this traditional French preparation for sautéed fish fillets served with an almond butter sauce
- U.S. Farm-Raised Trout Mornay
This baked trout dish is accented by a traditional mornay sauce that incorporates gruyere and parmesan cheeses. A sprinkle of parsley adds to both the taste and appearance
- U.S. Farm-Raised Atlantic Salmon Fillets with Maple Syrup and Mustard Crust
This super simple preparation can be prepared in the microwave in a snap
- Baked U.S. Farm-Raised Atlantic Salmon Fillets with Rosemary
This easy to prepare baked salmon dish combines the full-flavored salmon with the strong flavors of garlic and rosemary
- U. S. Farm-Raised Hybrid Striped Bass with Crabmeat Stuffing
This is a great recipe for baked whole fish and the breadcrumb/crabmeat stuffing adds to the range of flavors
- U.S. Farm-Raised Hybrid Striped Bass Veronique
This simple version of a classic French dish pairs hybrid striped bass fillets with grapes
- Beer Battered Walleye
Long a favorite in the Midwest, this traditional recipe features beer-battered fried fish and is often accompanied by ranch dressing as a dipping sauce
- Easy Crispy Fried U.S. Farm-Raised Yellow Perch
The cornmeal and flour breading steps-up the flavor and adding extra Cajun seasoning can provide additional zing for those who like a spicier version
- U.S. Farm-Raised Clams Casino
A traditional favorite made with clams on the half shell, parmesan cheese, bacon, breadcrumbs, butter, garlic, parsley, and a dash of hot sauce
- Linguine with U.S. Farm-Raised Clams
This recipe provides a welcome change from the usual tomato-based sauce. It features clams, garlic, grape tomatoes, and parsley for a lighter, brighter flavor
- U.S. Farm-Raised Steamed Clams
Clams steamed in white wine flavored with garlic and shallots and finished with a little butter can bring back memories of the shore on a summer day
- U.S. Farm-Raised Oysters Parmesan
This recipe combines parmesan cheese, garlic, shallots, and breadcrumbs as a topping for the baked oysters
- U.S. Farm-Raised Oysters Florentine
Any food served Florentine includes spinach. This easy recipe features oysters topped with a mixture of spinach, prepared Hollandaise sauce, cream, mozzarella and cheddar cheeses, sprinkled with breadcrumbs, and browned under the broiler
- U.S. Farm-Raised Mussels Mariniére
Simple mussels steamed in a white wine broth flavored with thyme, bay leaves, celery, scallions, and parsley can make an elegant meal. In Brussels, steamed mussels are traditionally served with French fries (pommes frites)
- U.S. Farm-Raised Mussels a L’Escargot
This recipe makes a great appetizer and features steamed mussels that have been opened and topped with a dollop of breadcrumbs combined with butter, garlic, and parsley, and run under the broiler
- Grilled U.S. Farm-Raised Shrimp
This easy recipe uses a simple marinade of lemon juice and olive oil flavored with garlic, dry mustard, parsley, and cayenne and black peppers